Saturday, October 3, 2009

Silhouettes of Fairy Tales





hen did I stop believing in Fairy Tales?

Damsels in Distress & Prince Charmings.

My favorite versions was a collection of mini books; four in total. Each classic fairy tale illustrated with detailed silhouettes. "Sleeping Beauty," "Snow White," "Hansel and Gretel," and "Cinderella." They dance through my mind when ever I am in a used bookstore.

Until recently, I had not pursued finding the illustrator of my beloved fairy tales. It took finding Kara Walkers nightmare like paper cuts of fairy tales illustrating racism, slavery, rape, & murder to finally search for my beloved books.



Before the Battle (Chicken Dumplin') Kara Walker

Jan Pieńkowski, Polish born British illustrator. His works include Haunted House, Meg & Mog & The Fairy Tales.

Sleeping Beauty, Jan Pieńkowski

Paper-cuts are no longer just folk art or a cameo of a child face. They are intricate breathtaking pieces that inspire.



Cinderella, Jan Pieńkowski


No comments:

Post a Comment